Carolina Beers Pt 1

By waltzingmathilda on 7:26 PM
I understand that this post is supposed to concern libations related to the mid-Atlantic, but I am stuck in Charlotte and bored outta my mind so you will have to deal.

On my first day in Charlotte, my boss and I stopped by a pizzeria and asked one of the locals at the bar what the best regional beer was. He smiled and proudly shouted "Budweiser!" I died a little on the inside.

But fortunately, I continued to seek out regional beers and here is what I found:

At first, I thought the best I could do was Rock Bottom Brewery Charlotte. As my brother-in-law and fellow blogger mentioned, Rock Bottom is a chain but allows its brewers to match their fare to regional tastes. Keeping this in mind, I selected the beer sample and set about my tasting journey.

Souther Flyer Light Lager: Described as a light beer and a "true-American lager." Not much to say here-was pretty tasteless. Seemed like compensation for those who would usually order a Bud.

Prospector's Pilsner: Described as a "German-style pilsner". (Now somebody correct me please, but isn't that a bit redundant?) Anyhow, wasn't bad, kinda nondescript.

Randoloh's Ride Red Ale: Described as a "malty flavor from British Crystal malt with the distinct citrus flavor of Cascade hops." All I recorded was that it was not too sweet and not too bitter. Don't quite remember what that meant.

Stingin' Brits I.P.A. : Now, to understand how remarkable this next beer is, you have to understand that historically I have disliked 95% of the I.P.A.s I have tried. Yet, out of the 7 beers I tried, this was my favorite. It was a "copper-colored ale," which I found odd, since most of the I.P.A. 's I have tried have been very light in color. They use Fuggle hops and it was quite enjoyable.

Sweet Magnolia Brown Ale: This was the beer I expected to like the most-I tend to like brown ales and this particular ale had apparently won the 1998 Great American Beer Festival. Yet I found it fairly nondescript. Ok, but not special

Iron Horse Stout: Again, take note that a stout is my least favorite type of beer. I don't dislike them, but it would be my last choice. In fact, I would rather have an I.P.A. over a stout any day. This particular stout has won the Gold and Silver medal in the Sweet Stout category of the World Beer Cup Competition but still I did not expect to like it. It is actually one of my favorite stouts ever. It was not at all bitter, which is one of the major beefs I have with stout. It has the slightest hint of chocolate but was not overly sweet. I found it to be very drinkable and could have even ordered another, which is rare for me and stouts.

Seasonal: Unfortunately, I did not get the full name of Rock Bottom Charlotte's seasonal, but I do know that it was an Irish Red. It was one of the best Irish Reds I have ever had. It had a delightful spicy-caramel-ly-floral flavor and was lovely. Definitely the best of the bunch.

Side note: I got a salad and it really sucked. Barely edible. Most of the yummy part of the meal was beer-related.

Comments

2 Response to ' Carolina Beers Pt 1 '

  1. Kevin Smith
    http://grainsngrapes.blogspot.com/2008/04/carolina-beers-pt-1.html?showComment=1208135880000#c3768331988644278790 '> April 13, 2008 at 9:18 PM

    Pilsner comes from Czechoslovakia - originally brewed in Plzen, Bohemia, now the Czech republic. The most famous ones being Pilsner Urqell, and Budvar (in an everlasting, ongoing case against Budweiser over name copyright).

    German pilsners tend to be lighter, slightly hoppier and less distinct in flavor than the Czech original.

    There are also Polish style pilsners, and most American mass-produced beers would probably most closely fall under a "pilsner" classification. Those that don't fall under that tend to be lagers.

     

  2. Kevin Smith
    http://grainsngrapes.blogspot.com/2008/04/carolina-beers-pt-1.html?showComment=1208136060000#c4568343624796275988 '> April 13, 2008 at 9:21 PM

    By mass-produced, I mean things like Budweiser, Miller, etc.